Jan 19, 2012

New Header Designs

Okay, I have put this off long enough. Today is the day I debut my ideas for the future look of To the Rails. Below I have laid out five separate headers that I have designed in the last month or so, all of which are styled differently from the rest -- though admittedly there is a liberal use of lightening and circuit boards throughout. Let me be the first to say, I am not an artist and all of these are pretty uncomplicated designs with little to no artistic flair. Still, I would like to spruce things up around here and I think one of these designs would do the trick.

First, a couple of quick notes on my efforts: 
  • All of these headers were designed in GIMP, which I recommend to anyone looking for a somewhat powerful, free image editing software.
  • I am well aware that 00 (yes, binary for the extra geek factor) and 11 look very similar. I couldn’t decide which one I liked more so I put up both.
  • I am open to creating something new from elements of these first attempts. Let me know in the comments which parts you like among the five (color, font, etc.)  and maybe I will combine them into something new for the blog. Also let me know if I need to scrap the lot and start over (I don't have feelings and this isn't my area)
  • The color scheme for 10 is different than the rest because I designed it when I was first learning the software and was just playing around. I liked it enough to keep it in the bunch for this trial run.
  • Lastly, if you think these are bad you should’ve seen the rejects. I will search my trash can to see if I can find them for a parody post after we pick a new header.

Make sure to vote in the poll I have created in the upper right (above the entry history). I figure any anonymous readers out there might be more likely to contribute to the voting this way as opposed to leaving comments. I look forward to hearing what you all think.

HEADER 00.











HEADER 01.


HEADER 10.

HEADER 11. 

HEADER 100.











Polls close on January 30th at 11:59pm so get those votes in soon!

1 comments:

Joel Ryan said...

I like 00 and 100. 01 looks too much like graffiti lettering, which I don't think is in the spirit of the blog. 11 would work if the site background mirrored the logo background. 10 is too washed out in the greys and mid-tone blues. I would do 00, but intensify the color contrast on the lightening and around the letters so that there is some almost pure white, and then add some kind of border.

Post a Comment